Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Weekends at the beach

I am still loving being an Aupair in Brissy!  I have the ideal work schedule of only working one day a week giving me the freedom to take trips on the weekends.

I met a French Aupair, Helene, who has become a good going out buddy.  On Easter weekend Helene, Mylene (her friend visiting from France), and I went to the Gold Coast!  It was fantastic!  Our first day we went to DreamWorld.  We acted like kids and had a great time riding the roller coasters in the rain.  

Mylene and I being rained on in line for a roller coaster

Rainbow over DreamWorld
Saturday was a beach day.  The water was clear and we swam and jumped waves for hours.  We stayed at a Hostel called Trekkers.  It was small, but welcoming.  The man that worked the front's wife and daughter came in on Sunday morning and brought everyone staying at the hostel homemade Easter treats!  How sweet!  The 'Frenchies' and I did a "big night out" with our hostel after spending the day at the beach.  This consisted of getting on a party bus with people from 6 other hostels.  We went to 4 different clubs/bars and got a free drink of choice at each.  We were given glow sticks and cowboy hats which became great dancing tools later in the night.  

Helene, Mylene, and I at Surfer's Paradise, Gold Coast



Big Night OuT!

Drinking wine from hostel mugs 


Guess which egg is mine. ;)
I stayed at the Gold Coast for 2 nights and came back in time for Easter lunch with the family I am living with.  They are Greek and so I got to experience a bit of their culture.  A few differences for me were eating lamb, homemade Greek bisquits (cookies), and playing a Greek egg game......All the eggs are died red and everyone, in a circle, hits each other's eggs.  Whoever's egg is uncracked at the end wins.  I WON! I also came home to a great surprise from the Easter Bunny!  He found me all the way in Australia.....although he replaced my chocolate bunnies with a chocolate bilby and a chocolate wombat! 

The Bilby and the Wombat



No comments: