Sunday, November 28, 2010

The best way for you to appreciate your job is to imagine yourself without one.

Friday, November 26th, I worked my first day of my first job in Australia! 

Of course I wish I could be on vaca for a year and NOT work, but since I have to this is a fun place to be!  The restaurant is called Boheme and is located in Melbourne, Australia in an area known as Richmond.  Boheme is only a 15 minute walk to and from and I am enjoying the exercise.  There are many regulars and it is ALWAYS busy!  The menu is quite a bit different than a comparable American restaurant would be.  The good news is I can wear anything I want as long as my hair is back and my shoes are close-toed, the owners are both named Mark (what a silly name :) JK, Dad) and are fun and very involved, and all the girls have been very welcoming and helpful!  The bad news is that there is an array of different yummy desserts that make me crave sweets more than I already do! 

I am the only American working there and sometimes have a hard time with some people's accents, as do they with mine.  A girl I worked with yesterday said very quickly, "I'm gonna pop into the loo."  It took me a second and then I realized she meant she was going to the restroom so I would have our section alone for a minute haha.  Also, I really count on catching people pointing to the menu as they order because Aussies pronounce things VeRy differently. But people in Australia are very similar to home, in that they tend to be very kind, helpful, and friendly :)  One couple even came back today after a couple of hours and said that as they were shopping after brekky (breakfast) they came across a new restaurant that had a 'now hiring' sign since I had mentioned that we were still on the job hunt for Jenni.........how nice, huh!!!  

Well, today was my third day and my feet hurt real bad, but I am glad to be making money.  I work everyday this next week except Monday and have a double on Friday.  Lots of work= lots of money to continue my travels :)  It is surprising how willing one is to trade in their 'back home luxuries' of life in order to be where they want to be at that moment.  I feel grateful to be here, be able to work, and learn things about another culture.  

No comments: